Sakai Takayuki Homura Guren Urushi 3 Piece SET
The Homura Guren Range by Sakai Takayuki is Handcrafted by Master Black smith Itsuo Doi.
Itsuo Doi was thought by his father Keijiro Doi who is very well known for his superb single bevel knives and specially for forging steel at much lower temperatures then other Blacksmiths. This assists in decarbonation of the steel and enlargement of the steel’s grain size making his knives more durable. He passed this skill over to Itsuo Doi.
The Homura Guren range is forged with Aogami # 2 – cladded in soft Iron then heat-treated to 62-63 HRC for amazing edge retention. The blade has a amazing edge geometry to ensure superb cutting performance. The Japanese handle is made of burnt Japanese Oak, coated with Urushi. Urushi is a Japanese lacquer and known as a highly prized material that has been refined for over 7000 years.
Please make sure to wash and dry the knife properly after use. The Iron cladding is reactive steel so will oxidize with use. If you are some that leaves there knife out for a while without cleaning it we definitely don’t recommend getting this knife. We also recommend getting a rust eraser and camellia oil for maintaining your knife properly.
This set includes the following:
- Wash and dry the blade by hand immediately after use. Dishwashers are very bad for all knives.
- Use a soft cloth to wash the blade. Avoid abrasive dish scrubbers and powders as these can damage the finish of your beautiful knife.
- Do not cut through bones. You can certainly cut along/beside bones, but do not cut into bones. This can, at worst, chip the blade.
- Never use this knife to cut frozen food. I’m sure you have a 4×4 somewhere in your kitchen for this job.
- Never twist or cleave the blade.
- Always use a wooden or plastic cutting board. Never cut on bamboo, glass, marble, slate, a plate, china, marble, arborite or anything harder than steel.
- Store knives in a way that the blades will not knock into each other.
- Never transport knives unprotected.
Out of stock